Part 1 – The Fundamentals
The 5 Key Principles Behind all Great songs
- The Three Journeys – What they are and why all great songs take at least one of them
- Dramatic Tension – Conflict and contrast. Why it’s essential and how to get it
- Listener Identity – How to make them feel as powerfully about your as you do
- The Open Window – The Hope Factor and why your songs must have it
- The Music/Lyric Connection – Making sure your music sounds like it belongs in the same song as your great lyric
10 Successful Songs - And Why They All Work According to the Same 5 Key Principles
- The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra.
- Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
- New York Minute - Don Henley
- You Belong with Me - Taylor Swift
- Enter Sandman - Metallica
- Imagine - John Lennon
- Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
- So What - Pink
- Out among the Stars - Merle Haggard
- Case of You - Joni Mitchell
Part 2 – The Mechanics - Writing Your Song
- Picking your target – who are you actually writing for? You? An artist?
- Finding a good idea – they’re actually all around and don’t necessarily have to do with “clever” titles.
- Setting tempo and tone. What is the emotional landscape of your song going to be?
- The opening lines, both musically and lyrically. Why they’re so critical to engaging the listener.
- Why needs are more important that wants in songs
- How to make the song “build” from beginning to end.
- Constructing a consistent logic thru line
- Constructing a consistent emotional thru line
- The “golden thread”. What it is and why it must never be severed, not even for one word. Trust me on this one!
- Creating powerful melodies and chord structures that complement your lyric.
- Tricks for not getting song fatigue (yes, getting over that deadly second vs hump!)
- The bridge and why some of the greatest songs ever written have no bridge at all
- Common writing problems and their solutions!
- How to let your song tell you what it wants
- The Pro’s Check List – Why review and re-write are absolutely critical to great work
Part 3 – The Demo
- Guitar/piano vocal or full band? How to know which way to choose.
- Pro studio vs home studio
- Picking the right singer (if not you!)
- And how not to make the one common mistake that ruins everything!
- Did I mention, how not to make the one common mistake that ruins everything!!!
Part 4 – The Business of Music – A Primer
- How to get your songs heard. Who counts and who doesn’t.
- The first thing publishers look for in your song
- Copyright – What it is and how to get it.
- BMI, ASCAP and SESAC. Who they are and what they do
Part 5 – Conclusion
- How to make songwriting not simply something you do, but a way you look at life.